The town of Otis was incorporated as a town on June 13, 1810. The town was named after Harrison Gray Otis, who was a speaker of the House of Representatives and known as the “Urban Federalist”. In the 1800’s, the town of Otis was a bustling town of industry which boasted various types of mills, tanneries, factories and foundries. Throughout the years, the Maplewood 1850 house has been an integral part of Otis’s history and industry. Nestled near the center of town in the heart of the Berkshires and located right on the Farmington River, Maplewood has served as a turning mill, a saw mill and various other businesses, when it was owned and operated by Mr. Timothy Jones in the 1800’s. It has been reported that it was the oldest water power in town drawn off the Farmington River.

Originally named “The Maplewood” and run as a sheep farm and tourist location by George and Frances Barton in 1878, the house has changed hands many times since its original erection in the 1700’s. Although built in the late 1700’s, the house was remodeled in 1850 and became known as an 1850 house, since it retains the style of that time. The Maplewood 1850 house has been serving guests as a Bed and Breakfast and tourist location on and off since the early 1800’s. For generations, guests have come from all over the world to find rest and relaxation in the comfort of Maplewood’s walls and the company of the various Inn keepers over the years.

Knox trail, or “the Great Road”, is a prominent historical landmark in Otis and served as an integral part of arming the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. It was named after General Henry Knox, who passed through this place in the winter of 1775‐1776, to deliver the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga to General George Washington in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
First Name

Last Name


About Your Stay:


266 North Main Street, Route 8

(Just North of Otis Center)

PO Box 246

Otis, MA 01253








Website Devopled by MAD Web Media Copyright ©2021